Put the Joy into Simple Holidays

I'm writing this blog because one of my clients asked me to share these thoughts on my blog, so she could put it in her wallet and carry it with her all year.   She was feeling stressed with the holiday gifting, the pointlessness of the presents, and the way shopping zapped her energy. I explained that I too like to focus on values during the holidays.
I keep my gifting simple by doing it through the year. I don't do my shopping all at once in December. When I am with a family member in a special place, I may pick up a postcard, or small souvenir to later stuff into a stocking.   I like to make handmade gifs for my family. I usually begin these projects in June or August. I spend time thoughtfully looking at knitting patterns and thinking about what my family would enjoy as a gift. I try to keep those gifts simple, not big projects, but I thoroughly enjoy sifting through patterns, looking at yarn, and finally selecting my "gift" projects. I usually pick one, and then replicate it for each person in a different color. Again, this keeps it simple, yet thoughtful.
I also think gifts are thoughtful if in some way they are personalized. There is a local woman who embroiders on anything! I asked her to embroider tee-shirts for my family this year. My family will be surprised and they will receive something they can't just buy off the shelf.
I also spend time noting new things I have tried that I loved and then I buy a couple extra as gifts. This year I tried a special tea from Kentucky and a facial scrubber that I liked. These made great gift items. If I loved it, I'll share it.
Don't tell my neighbors, but I also buy a bunch of great food items from Williams and Sonoma or candles and pre-wrap them with ribbons. If anyone shows up at my door with a neighborly unexpected gift, I have some beautifully wrapped gift to give them as well.
This year we had a dinner party during the holiday season with my neighbors. I asked them all to bring their favorite book from 2012 for a book exchange. It was delightful! And hassle free- the books were already collecting dust on the shelf at home. Now I have a free great read for the holiday considered a "favorite" from one of my neighbors. Love that!
I also make a little holiday calendar for the family. I note a cookie baking day, a family dinner, this year we added a concert in January. My adult-children pick the things they want to join in on, and feel no pressure to juggle between my house and all the other holiday must-do's. I try to plan my activities in the "off" days so my kids don't feel pressure about where to be.
Think about what you value, what you hold dear, and find a way to share that during the holidays. But keep the pressure off of you by preparing for it during the rest of the year. We all have plenty to do in December!